« Home | Pic test - TAKE 2 » | First Post » 

Thursday, October 06, 2005 

On the subject of my birthday.

Time to be a bit selfish and express my frustration about the events that seem at least at this moment to cling to the time around my birthday.

Well.. here it comes again. And as the continuance of my cursed birthdays since I was thirteen, I will be accompanying my girlfriend to Ft. Worth to say good bye to her grandmother. When I was thirteen I had planned a big birthday party, I'm not going to elaborate, it would have been a good one. However, I was instead required to help celebrate the life of my own grandmother, flying up to Illinois to do so. The plane ride back has definately left an impact on me. A child, riding in the seat in front of me and apparently lacking potty training, let loose in his seat. This caused the fluid to cascade down on to my leg... The father didn't even say anything to the stewardess, leaving the discovery to the next person to take the seat. I told the steward person (?) and I'm sure they cardoned it off or something at least.
(update)
Well I have returned. I was able to be a paul bearer for the service, which was very nice. Good turnout, alot of people were there. That much of it reminded me of the funeral for my last grandmother only last August. So many people showed up... it's surprising... well I guess not. I hope that I have as many people show up for me.
So it turns out that my birthdate is a pretty cursed one. Even this year not only was I putting someone to rest on my bday but there was an earthquake that wiped out some few hundred thousand people.
So... I figured.. lets take a look at my birthdate through the years. Here's a list of some of the terrible events that occurred on this day in history from oldest to most recent:
  • October 8, 314 Battle at Cibalae: emperor Constantine beats emperor Licinius
  • October 8, 876 Battle at Andernach: Louis the Young beats Charles the Bare
  • October 8, 1690 Turkish troops occupy Belgrade
  • October 8, 1775 Officers decide to bar slaves and free blacks from Continental Army
  • October 8, 1806 British forces lay siege to French port of Boulogne using Congreve rockets, invented by Sir William Congreve
  • October 8, 1822 1st eruption of Galunggung (Java) sends boiling sludge into valley
  • October 8, 1856 Chinese police board British vessel Arrow, arrest 12 Chinese crewmen on suspicion of piracy and lower British flag, begins 2nd Anglo-Chinese War
  • October 8, 1865 Earthquake in Santa Cruz Mountains
  • October 8, 1871 Great Fire kills 200, destroys over 4miles (10 km) of Chicago buildings, and original Emancipation Proclamation
  • October 8, 1871 Gas explosion destroys Peshtigo, Wisconsin
  • October 8, 1912 Montenegro declares war on Turkey, beginning 1st Balkan War
  • October 8, 1915 Battle of Loos, almost 430,000 French, British and Germans killed
  • October 8, 1918 Sgt Alvin York single-handedly kills 25, captures 132 Germans
  • October 8, 1939 Germany annexes Western Poland
  • October 8, 1940 German troops occupies Romania
  • October 8, 1941 Concentration camp Birkenau begins being built
  • October 8, 1942 Fight at Matanikau, Guadalcanal (John Hersey-Into the Valley)
  • October 8, 1946 Milt plane crashes at Christian HBS, 24 die
  • October 8, 1952 Chinese offensive in Korea
  • October 8, 1952 2 trains collide with a derailed commuter train, kills 112 (England)
  • October 8, 1958 U.S. performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
  • October 8, 1979 Country Music Association Award:[Approx]
  • October 8, 1980 Bob Marley collapses on stage, brought to Sloan-Kettering Hospital
  • October 8, 1988 Fire in Seattle's Space Needle causes evacuation, $2,000 damage
  • October 8, 1990 Israeli police kill 17 Palestinian rioters
  • October 8, 1993 Howard Stern releases his 1st book "Private Parts"
Here are some of the good things:
  • October 8, 1835 HMS Beagle/Charles Darwin reaches James Island, Galapagos archipelago
  • October 8, 1986 RUN DMC calls for a day of peace among LA street gangs
So yeah.. I'm not feeling so hot at this very moment. I'm glad I was able to help my girlfriend and her family as much as I could and I would do it again in a heartbeat if it becomes necessary.